Parents and Family Weekend
Once a year we welcome our extended Bulldog family to come get a taste of life at Drake. It’s your chance to show off your university and let your family experience everything from athletics to arts, all in one weekend.
2023 Parents & Family Weekend Date: October 6-8, 2023
Click here register and print your parking pass for the weekend
Friday, October 6
- Pumpkin Decorating sponsored by the Residence Hall Association (RHA) - 5:00 - 6:30pm on Helmick Commons (outdoor grassy area outside of Hubbell Dining Hall)
- The Department of Theatre Arts’ world premiere performances of WINGS is this weekend. This is a new, original musical by Danny K. Bernstein, whom the Department has been directly collaborating with since last spring to develop and produce the musical.
- You can go here for more information on the show and its upcoming premiere.
- Tickets can be purchased here.
Saturday, October 7
- Parent and Family Coffee Social hosted by Drake's Parent & Family Advisory Council - 9:00am - 10:00am - Cline Hall Atrium
- Drake Neighborhood History & Architectural Walking Tour, presented by the Drake Neighborhood Association – tours offered at 10am and 11am.
- Tours will depart from Cline Hall Atrium after Coffee Social
- Come on this walking tour to learn the history and architecture of the oldest portions of the Drake neighborhood. Presented by the Drake Neighborhood Association, participants will walk roughly one-mile starting at the Bulldog Plaza in the front lawn of Old Main, heading south, around Drake Park, and ending in Dogtown at 25th and University Avenue. Discover the indigenous history of the area, the first frat houses at Drake, the start of a salad dressing empire, a growth in culture and diversity, and the values and ascetics holding it all together. Bridging the past to the present, hear directly from neighbors about what is happening now and what they are excited about for the future of our vibrant Drake neighborhood!
- Breakout Session Options: Sessions offered at 10am and 10:30am
- Study Abroad, Committing to Drake’s Mission to Prepare Students for Responsible Global Citizenship – Maria Rohach, Director of Education Abroad - Harvey Ingham Hall 134
- Study Abroad is an important part of the Drake experience and one way we are delivering on Drake’s mission statement – preparing students for responsible global citizenship. In an increasingly interconnected world, a global mindset is more important than ever as students enter the workforce. Through diverse program and location options, varied course offerings to keep students on track for graduation, and a desire to make study abroad as affordable as a semester on campus, we hope all Drake students expand their worldview by studying abroad. We are here to help you along this journey. Attend to learn about programs, finances, timelines and more.
- Professional Development & Career Exploration for your Student(s)- Chrystal Stanley, Director of Career Services - Harvey Ingham Hall 135
- Career development begins the first year of college and builds with each internship, research study, service project or part-time job. With satellite locations across campus, PCDS is tailored to Drake’s individual colleges and schools to help students define their career aspirations and reach their professional goals.
- Fraternity & Sorority Life Panel - Cline Hall 206
- Fraternity and Sorority Life and the Student Activities Board are collaborating to on a Q&A panel to parents and families. Please come meet fraternity and sorority members and get any questions you have about the community answered. This event is both for guests whose students joined this fall or prior, but also for those who haven’t joined yet and may want to learn more! Active members of our chapters will be in attendance to welcome you to campus and will serve as panelists. We are excited for you to learn more about our fraternity and sorority community, but also meet parents and families of students in out Drake community!
- Bulldog Run/Walk t-shirt pick up 10:00am – 12:00pm, Olmsted Center Breezeway
- Pick up your Bulldog walk/run t-shirt, get information about Des Moines, and more.
- Little Free Pantries Donations, collections will be accepted between 10am - 12pm, Our live mascot, Griff II, is partnering with the Parent Advisory Council over Family Weekend on October 7 to collect non-perishable food and personal hygiene items to benefit the Little Free Pantries in the Drake Neighborhood. Stop by the Olmsted Center to make a contribution to this cause! Griff II will be present in Hubbell Dining Hall between 11:30am - 12:30pm.
- Drake Legacy Photo, 12:00pm, Agora
- If you are a Drake Alumni, please grab your student and join us for a Drake Legacy Photo at 12:00pm on the Agora, Helmick Commons.
- Lunch, is available for purchase in Hubbell Dining Hall for $8 per person from 11:00am – 1:00pm
- Students can use their meal plan.
- Griff II will be present in Hubbell Dining Hall between 11:30am - 12:30pm!
- Drake Football vs. Valparaiso, 1:00pm, Drake Stadium
- Men's Soccer vs. Northern Illinois, 6:00pm, Cownie Soccer Complex
- Sweetheart Sing has been POSTPONED until November. Please contact Liz Cadwell (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
Sunday, October 8
- Bulldog Run/Walk (Drake’s 5k or one-mile fun run/walk around campus!) - 8:30am, check-in at north side entrance of the Olmsted Center. Races will start at 9am!
- Women’s Soccer vs. Valparaiso, 1:00pm, Drake Stadium (free admission)