The Department of World Languages and Cultures provides opportunities to develop and enhance functional linguistic and cultural capabilities, fostering and nurturing communicative growth to prepare world citizens for the interconnected global community. The Department supports cultural competencies and prepares students for meaningful academic, professional, and personal experiences in a variety of contexts. Students will:
- Develop advanced proficiency to communicate nationally and internationally in culturally authentic areas of reading, writing, listening and speaking, as identified by recognized professional guidelines;
- Gain an understanding of the societies, histories, and contributions of the regions in which the language is spoken;
- Acquire the ability to see the world and one’s own culture through a global lens;
- Situate language within a wider interdisciplinary context;
- Cultivate intercultural understanding with appreciation for cultural diversity, including a broad base of knowledge and perspectives of related cultures;
- Develop individual and collaborative skills necessary to work with diverse populations.