Post Secondary Enrollment Options
The Post Secondary Enrollment Options Act was developed to allow high school students who have surpassed the highest level of specific subjects at their high schools to take college courses. The opportunity to enroll at Drake University provides students with valuable academic experience and college credit that can be transferred to most colleges or universities.
Criteria for Eligibility
- Eleventh and twelfth grade students enrolled in public or Iowa accredited nonpublic school districts are eligible for PSEO classes. Ninth or tenth grade students who are identified as a gifted and talented student according to the school district's criteria and procedures (Iowa Code §257.43) are also eligible to enroll.
- Eligible students must complete and submit the PSEO application including signatures from the guidance counselor and parent. A student shall not be eligible for participation in PSEO until the school district or accredited nonpublic school completes the form thereby certifying a student's eligibility.
Please review Drake University's Schedule of Classes prior to submitting the application. Courses numbered 001-099 are first-year/sophomore level courses, courses number 100-199 are junior/senior level courses. Students must meet any prerequisite or registration restrictions on a course or receive instructor approval prior to registration. The maximum number of courses allowed each semester is two in fall, two in spring and one in summer.
Note: If the school district or accredited nonpublic school will not be paying for the course through the PSO Act, students should register as a visiting student by completing the Non-Degree Seeking Student Registration Request Form.
- Submit the completed application and unofficial transcript to Drake's Office of Admission. Documents can be emailed to email@example.com.
- Registration for PSEO students begins two weeks before the start of each semester. No PSEO student may register before that date. Registration appointments will take place 1-2 weeks before the start of each semester. Students must schedule their registration appointment with Grace Wenzel at (515) 271-2091 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage students to submit the PSEO registration form in advance.
- Priority registration is given to currently enrolled full-time Drake students. High school students are encouraged to remain flexible in course selection as some classes may be filled. Students should rank at least four class options on the application. We will be in touch with you once registration begins two weeks before the start of each semester about availability of the courses you requested.