Lorentzen Student Hatchery
Start a business. Get paid.
The Lorentzen Student Hatchery is a unique program aimed at fostering student startups. Entrepreneurship Centers staff provide guidance and support, access to mentors and experts, and more to Drake University students accepted to the Hatchery. Students of any major, undergraduate and graduate, are welcome to apply to the Hatchery for the opportunity to get paid up to $7,500 while working on their own startup. Even if you are not chosen to receive a summer grant, Drake University students are welcome to participate in Hatchery coaching and mentoring sessions. This summer program starts the first week of June and wraps up the first week of August but there will be training and coaching available in the semesters before and after formal progamming.
Because of the evolving situation around COVID-19, the novel coronavirus, the Hatchery will be on hiatus until 2021. If you would like more information, download a Hatchery fact sheet or request one by email from email@example.com.
Meet the Summer 2019 Lorentzen Student Hatchery Cohort
- ADAM HEATER MEDIA, Adam Heater. Adam Heater Media is a video production and photography company specialized in working with small businesses and non-profits. We use small crews, limited equipment, and smart production design to showcase the people behind small businesses and non-profits while keeping costs low to clients without sacrificing quality.
- OUR LYF, Tyrek Washington. Our LYF is a lifestyle brand who seeks to make individuals more confident and assertive in themselves. We want to inspire people to become positively selfish and understand if you don’t care about yourself first then you can’t become your best self and put your best foot forward to anything. We want to achieve these means by education media and apparel.
- ENCRYPTIUM, Kellen Karls and Alex Mathison. Encryptium stores access management information using decentralization technology to take data off a companies' server. This allows companies to verify logins and identities without them even holding the data and therefore preventing information from being lost in the case of a data breach.
- KNM, Nick Miller. KNM Productions LLC is an event production and media company. KNM Productions currently offers DJ, videography, and photography services with plans to expand to offer photo booths, live sound and lighting, graphic design and commercial media services as well. KNM Productions strives to be the premier, one-stop-shop for weddings, corporate events, and other events with the flexibility to offer specific individual services based on the needs and wants of our clients.
- MILK CHOCOLATE PRODUCTIONS, Luc Pham. Milk Chocolate Productions, LLC is a music video production company dedicated to promoting representation for artists of color in and around Des Moines, Iowa. By creating thoughtful, innovative and unconventional videos (with viral potential), MCP serves to propel local talent into the national spotlight and provides a platform for artists of diverse backgrounds to share their voices with the world.
- PICTO, Sohil Brahmbhatt and Case Martin. Picto puts the social back in social back in social media. Picto is based on trust, accessibility and togetherness. With Picto, you create groups to share content. There is no posting alone so if you want to share things you always do so collaboratively. We are so excited to share with the world with we believe is a healthier, easier and more mindful alternative to today's social media.
- RAY’S PET SHOP, Ravyn Anderson. Ray’s pet shop is your one stop shop to make your dogs or cats healthier, smarter and happier. With boarding, training, dog walking and custom-made supplements designed to help personally help each animal.
Meet the Summer 2018 Lorentzen Student Hatchery Cohort
Summer 2017 Lorentzen Student Hatchery Cohort
Summer 2016 Lorentzen Student Hatchery Cohort
- FitSolutions: Mark Fouad
- Books & Keap: Mike Coltrain
- Flipped Art: Alex Peterson & Whitney Leming Salisbury
- Seec: Hannah Keisker
- SportsLab360: Nicholas Manzoni & TJ Poll
Summer 2015 Lorentzen Student Hatchery Participants
- Glimpse: Ethan Turner & Johnathan Osifuye-White
- Kelsi Ziemann Artistry: Kelsi Ziemann
- Settled In: Alexi de Lathouder & Brayton Deprey
- Snippster: Kai Asberry
- Dates for Two: Garrett Carty, Chris Fairbank, Sam Lowry & Braeden Stanley
Lorentzen Hatchery in the News
About the Hatchery
John Lorentzen (Drake B.A. and B.S.B.A in Political Science, Economics, and Management, 1977) founded the Hatchery with the intent to help Drake University students get a head start on creating their own business through a generous donation to the program.
If you have any questions, please contact the Entrepreneurship Center in Aliber Hall or email us.