There are many benefits to volunteering while you are in college! At Drake we work reciprocally with local neighborhoods and community organizations to identify opportunities for students to serve. Annually, Drake partners with over 100 community agencies and schools on a variety of projects from lunch hour reading programs with kids at King elementary to building houses with Habitat for Humanity. Whatever your interest there is an opportunity for you to get involved! Check out below for some of the requests we've received recently or search the United Way Volunteer Database for 100s of opportunities.
If you're looking to develop a more ongoing relationship with a community partner, read through this checklist first.
Are you a community partner wanting to learn how to get your opportunity posted? Click here for more information.
Want to stay up to date on current volunteer and community engagement opportunities? Sign up for our newsletter.
Commitment to Racial Justice
The Office of Community Engaged Learning & Service affirms our commitment to racial justice. The objectives of our office are for students to be able to know themselves, understand the complexities of the world, and take creative action. This newsletter shares ideas on how individuals can educate themselves on topics of racial justice and take action to create change. Visit the for an Equity-Based Service Learning Toolkit and many other resources.
Looking to participate in a demonstration or counter-demonstration while guarding your safety and health? A little planning can go a long way, visit the Office of Equity & Inclusion Website for tips on How to Stay Safe & Healthy at a Demonstration.
Volunteering in times of Coronavirus
If you're looking to volunteer this year or partner with a non-profit organization, please watch this 3-minute training video first and read these safety tips.
One-time Volunteer Opportunities
Check back soon
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities:
- Des Moines Refugee Support - Donate T-shirts or create your own T-shirt tote bags. Contact Tina at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Tutor Hero - Evelyn K Davis Center for Working Families - Tutor Heroes, a free tutoring program for 6-12th graders, will offer free virtual tutoring this year. Tutors need to be available from 5-7pm on either Tuesdays or Thursdays. Seeking subject matter experts in Maths, Sciences, and Spanish. Apply here. Contact Jason at email@example.com with questions.
- Everybody Wins! Iowa Volunteer Opps:
- Power Read Online - Mentors meet online for 30-45 minutes via Zoom each week to engage in literacy activities and conversation with a student. Mentors are paired with the same student each week. 1 semester commitment required. Apply here.
- Pen Pals - Mentors and students will write letters back and forth to each other on a bi-weekly basis
- Make Reading Videos - Make a video of your favorite children's picture book that you think a student in grades K through 5 would enjoy. Start with an introduction stating the title and author, then read the book (either by acting the book or simply reading it). End with a note of encouragement for the students. OR, make a video telling about your favorite children's book - again start with an introduction that states the title and author, and then tell about the book and why you enjoy it. End with a note of encouragement. Send videos to firstname.lastname@example.org. Email Anna at that email address with any questions.
- Genesis Youth Foundation - Looking for someone who is patient, open-minded, adaptable, and kind to tutor students in all subjects including ESL. The goal is to help students increase their grade level, advance their college readiness, and help them with everyday class assignments. There will be virtual and in-person options
- The Food Bank of Iowa has in-person and at-home volunteer opportunities. Help sort food and bag produce on site. To see the calendar of openings and sign up, click here. At home, you can create backpack cards or T-shirt tote bags. To get the instructions for the backpack cards or T-shirt tote bags, please email email@example.com. These would also be opportunities you could do with a roommate or friend. Contact Michaela at MDevaney@foodbankiowa.org for more information.
Willkie House Tutoring Opportunity - The Willkie House will be opening for all day programming during their 'virtual learning' days. They are seeking volunteers that can work with youth either in person or virtually to assist with tutoring. Due to COVID, they will be doing temperature checks, require masks, and group social distancing. Volunteers are needed Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 12:45 to 3:00 pm. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how to get involved.
- Habitat for Humanity - The Drake Habitat for Humanity chapter is recruiting volunteers for the semester. Covid precautions are in place - all events are outdoors, masks are required, and there is a cap of 10 people at a time. Learn more about volunteer opportunities. Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Children & Family Urban Movement is looking for volunteers to hand out food to those in need. Shifts are available Monday-Friday 4:15-5:15pm. Supper Club will be served from the red door of Trinity Church on 8th Street. CFUM can accommodate volunteer teams of 3 in order to abide by social distancing regulations. Bring your own mask, gloves are provided. Look for Ms. Polly when you arrive. Sign up at https://doodle.com/poll/ndsprdiyv9r2qdpd. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Tutors at Tawba Islamic Center - Tutor kids VIRTUALLY in math and reading/writing on Sundays at 2pm. Sign up. If you have any questions, concerns, or technical issues, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Science Center of Iowa needs volunteers to help deliver customer service, clean exhibits, be a general source of information, remind visitors to social distance, etc. Dec. 19-Jan. 1, is 8:30am-12pm, and 12:30-4pm. Training required. SCI is excited to bring the SUE: The T. Rex Experience! Contact email@example.com.
- Drop off canned goods and toiletries to one of the Drake Neighborhood's Little Free Pantries, or a little library or little pantry in your own community. Does your student organization, group, or department want to "adopt" a pantry for a week this fall? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IRIS, a free radio reading service that reads print information aloud to visually impaired listeners throughout Iowa is looking for volunteers! Each morning Monday-Friday an IRIS volunteer records themselves reading the Council Bluffs newspaper that will later be aired on the radio for visually impaired listeners. Reading can be done in-person or remotely, takes about 2 hours, and must be done before noon each day. Volunteers must complete a 30-minute training before their scheduled reading. For more information or to sign up please contact IRIS Coordinator, Taylor Fisher at email@example.com.
- Joshua Christian Academy - Joshua Christian Academy, housed in Hope Lutheran Church across from campus, is looking for volunteers to help with morning check-in from 7:15-8:15am, and lunch/recess from 11:15am-12:30pm. Looking for consistent volunteers. Reach out to Kourtney Perry at firstname.lastname@example.org.