Drake desires to work reciprocally with local neighborhoods and community organizations. Annually, Drake partners with over 100 community agencies and schools on a variety of projects from lunch hour reading programs with kids at King elementary to building houses with Habitat for Humanity. Whatever your interest there is an opportunity for you to get involved! Check out below for some of the requests we've received recently or search the United Way Volunteer Database for 100s of opportunities.
Want to stay up to date on current volunteer and community engagement opportunities? Sign up for our newsletter.
Upcoming Service Events
- Excercise Your Character 2019 - April 9, 8am-12pm at Hy-Vee Hall in downtown Des Moines. In partnership with Hy-Vee, The Robert D. and Billie Ray Center at Drake University is seeking volunteers for this event held for more than 10,000 fourth and fifth graders to promote good character. All volunteers receive a free T-shirt and lunch. To volunteer, email Hilary at firstname.lastname@example.org and include your T-shirt size. Family and friends areas 18 and up are welcome to register with Drake faculty and staff.
- Findley Elementary School 1st grade visit to Drake - April 12, 9:40am. Join us between the Olmsted Parking Lot and front doors of Olmsted to create a welcome tunnel for the first-graders visiting campus. Wear your Drake blue and lend a high five! Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Opportunity on Deck Campus Visit - April 20, 11-11:45am. Drake student volunteers are needed to give a short campus tour to 4th-8th graders and then answer questions about your college experience. Sign up for the Student Ambassador position at https://signup.com/client/invitation2/secure/2715533/false#/invitation. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Monroe Bulldog Buddies - Be a Bulldog Buddy! Mentor a K-5th grader at Monroe Elementary School. Times available are Monday, Wednesday, or Friday after school. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Everybody Wins! Iowa Power Read Program - Some say that reading aloud to a child is the single most important factor in improving a child's literacy skills. Volunteer to read to a child in an elementary school near campus within walking distance - Monroe Elementary School on Thursdays from 10:50-11:30am or 11:10-11:50am, or King Elementary School on Fridays for 40-minute shifts between 10:35a and 12:05pm. Learn more at https://everybodywinsiowa.org/.
- Tutor Heros - Be a tutor for a 7th-12th grader through the Evelyn K Davis Center. Volunteers are needed Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays from 5-7pm. Apply today.
- Next Course Food Recovery - Did you know food is recovered from Hubbell Dining and saved from being sent to the landfill by being donated to local non-profits? Volunteer to pick up and deliver the food - it's quick and easy! Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.