Drake desires to work reciprocally with local neighborhoods and community organizations. Annually, Drake partners with over 100 community agencies and schools on a variety of projects from lunch hour reading programs with kids at King elementary to building houses with Habitat for Humanity. Whatever your interest there is an opportunity for you to get involved! Check out below for some of the requests we've received recently or search the United Way Volunteer Database for 100s of opportunities.
Want to stay up to date on current volunteer and community engagement opportunities? Sign up for our newsletter.
Upcoming Service Events
- * April 23 - Paul Morrison Drake Neighborhood Spruce-Up Event, 5:30-6:30pm. Drake students and Neighborhood residents will join together for a spruce-up event. Help pick up trash on campus, surrounding streets in the Neighborhood, and Greek Street and prepare the area for the Drake Road Races. Meet at the Walgreens Parking Lot on 31st and University. Trash and recycling bags will be available. Join in the Walgreens parking lot after the clean-up for pizza!
- Monroe Bulldog Buddies - Be a Bulldog Buddy! Mentor a K-5th grader at Monroe Elementary School. Times available are Monday, Wednesday, or Friday after school. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Everybody Wins! Iowa Power Read Program - Some say that reading aloud to a child is the single most important factor in improving a child's literacy skills. Volunteer to read to a child in an elementary school near campus within walking distance - Monroe Elementary School on Thursdays from 10:50-11:30am or 11:10-11:50am, or King Elementary School on Fridays for 40-minute shifts between 10:35a and 12:05pm. Learn more at https://everybodywinsiowa.org/.
- Tutor Heros - Be a tutor for a 7th-12th grader through the Evelyn K Davis Center. Volunteers are needed Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays from 5-7pm. Apply today.
- Next Course Food Recovery - Did you know food is recovered from Hubbell Dining and saved from being sent to the landfill by being donated to local non-profits? Volunteer to pick up and deliver the food - it's quick and easy! Reach out to email@example.com for more information.