Skip Sub Menu

Working on Campus

Welcome to Drake University!

To become more involved in the University, you may want to consider on-campus employment as a resource for meeting your college expenses.  All students may work on campus, however, students with Federal Work-Study awards are given priority in hiring for on-campus jobs (since this is part of the Financial Plan).  Student Financial Planning determines eligibility for work-study.

To provide you with additional information regarding the student employment process, you may find the following questions and answers helpful:

If I accept a work-study award, how do I get a job on campus? 

During the summer prior to your first semester at Drake University, you may have a work-study job assigned to you. During the timeframe of the Orientations, you may complete the student employment application online.  The application process will be available through the last Orientation (or June 30).  In August, you will receive an email to your Drake e-mail account indicating where you have have been assigned.  You must then accept or decline the assignment.  If you accept, your supervisor may contact you.  If you decline, no other job will be assigned to you.  

I am not eligible for work-study on my award letter.  Can I still work on campus?

Yes, you can still work on campus, however, a job will not be assigned to you. Please visit the app called Handshake at myDrake, to look for available jobs listed on this site, and apply, as instructed.

What forms do I need to complete before I can begin working?  

If this is your first job at Drake, you need to complete the I-9, and Iowa and Federal W4 forms.  You should review the List of Acceptable Documents for I-9 required to complete these forms and bring them with you to Drake.  These documents must be original documents and prove your identification and eligibility to work (most commonly students provide an unexpired passport OR the actual social security card OR an original or certified copy of your birth certificate.  NOTE:  Photocopies and faxes are not acceptable.  No student may begin to work without completing these forms. Additionally, students are required to use direct deposit to deposit their checks into a checking or savings account. (Instructions on how to establish direct deposit will be available through myDrake.)

If I decide not to work in the fall semester, but want to work in the spring semester, what should I do?  

At this time, you do not need to do anything.  When you are ready to look for a job on campus, you will go to Handshake to look for available jobs listed on this site, and apply, as instructed.

Is Handshake the only way to find a job on campus?

Handshake is one way to go about finding a job on campus. You may network with your friends to see where they are working, and if their campus employer needs additional help.  Additionally, you may want to talk with your faculty to see if they are aware of opportunities within their departments for student help.  Lastly, if you want to work at a specific place, you may want to go that individual area and express your interest!  

How many hours can I expect to work and where and when do I get paid?  

Positions on campus normally require 8 to 12 hours of work per week and will pay hourly wage of $7.25 (and up).  Students are paid on the 12th of each month for the previous month's work.  Students are required to be paid via direct deposit.  The amount of your earnings is not automatically credited to your tuition.  

If you have questions reqarding the student employment process, you may contact Human Resources via email at . 

University News