Internships & Jobs
SJMC Career Services
The SJMC's Student Professional and Academic Support Specialist provides information and support for students seeking internships and post-graduate jobs. Contact Timm Pilcher at Timm.Pilcher@drake.edu.
The SJMC hosts several Facebook pages on which faculty and alumni post job openings, including Drake SJMC Group and Drake SJMC Careers and Internship Group.
You can post your resume and look at lots of job postings and internship opportunities on the University's employment portal, Handshake.
Professional and Career Development Services
Drake's Professional and Career Development Services posts internship and job postings on its site, as well as links to career resources and events.
Also check in with your adviser or the SJMC dean’s office for tips on job-hunting.
- Maximum of 6 hours allowed for credit
- Students take for 1, 2 or 3 credits (requires adviser approval). Students may earn one credit hour for every 40 hours worked as determined by their supervisor and adviser.
- Internship forms available on the SJMC website's Forms page
- Grade assigned by supervising faculty member (adviser)
- All internship paperwork is due to the SJMC Dean’s Office by the first Friday of classes each term. Paperwork submitted after this date could result in the inability to register for the requested course or a delay in registration. Please submit questions regarding internship and independent study registration to the Dean’s Office.
- Students registered for fewer than 12 credits at the end of the add period cannot add an internship after the add period has expired. In other words, if adding internship credit changes a student’s status from part-time to full-time, the internship cannot be added. These students may add their internship credits to the next semester. If the next semester is summer, students are required to pay the summer rate for each credit hour. If, in any semester, the internship hours, along with the student’s other coursework exceeds 18 credit hours, the over-hours fee will apply. Students may not hold internship credit past the next semester.
- Students registered for 12 credits or more at the end of the add period may add the internship credits at the time the internship becomes available. The deadline will be the Friday before finals of each semester.
- Students should self-report internships that are not for credit by completing this form. Not-for-credit internships are an important part of a student’s academic experience, and we monitor students who are completing internships without earning credit. No additional evaluations are required for not-for-credit internships.