Lorentzen Student Hatchery
Thank you for your interest in the Lorentzen Student Hatchery at Drake University. The Hatchery is a summer program designed to help students gain an unprecedented opportunity to start their business while still in school, under the mentorship of experienced entrepreneurs. Stipends up to $6,000 (to cover costs such as housing, startup, and other expenses) are available. Students in the Hatchery program will be provided with working space, access to office equipment, as well as mentoring, coaching, and other assistance from the Hatchery’s program director and other local entrepreneurs. Funds will be distributed in three equal increments and distribution is contingent upon students meeting agreed-upon benchmarks. In the event a student or team abandons their project the remaining funds will be forfeited.
To be eligible for the program you must be:
- Any currently enrolled Drake student (*see below)
- Undergraduate or graduate
- Any major
- Willing to dedicate a summer, approximately 12 weeks of full-time commitment, to work toward meeting their project’s goals and fulfill program benchmarks. This includes regular meetings with the program director, mentors, participating in training and other events as required.
Applications will be accepted until 5 p.m. on Friday, April 21st. Students who apply and are selected for an interview must be prepared to present their business proposal before a panel prior to being accepted into the program. Presentations will take place the week of April 24th.
At the end of the summer session, students chosen to participate in the Lorentzen Student Hatchery will present their pitch for their business idea before an assembled group of potential investors, including Mr. John Lorentzen for whom the Hatchery is named. This will take place early in the Fall 2024 semester.
* If you are a graduating senior or an international student, please email us about potential restrictions.
To apply for the program, please fill out the application and return it with a copy of your resume to the Entrepreneurship Center, Aliber Hall Third Floor.
This form is available online at: https://drake.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eV7ypCQKnDWfGzs
Want to know more? Email us at email@example.com.
Lorentzen Hatchery Resources
Here are some resources that may be useful for Lorentzen Hatchery participants and others:
Meet the Cohorts
Meet the Summer 2019 Lorentzen Student Hatchery Cohort
- ADAM HEATER MEDIA, Adam Heater. Adam Heater Media is a video production and photography company specialized in working with small businesses and non-profits. We use small crews, limited equipment, and smart production design to showcase the people behind small businesses and non-profits while keeping costs low to clients without sacrificing quality.
- OUR LYF, Tyrek Washington. Our LYF is a lifestyle brand who seeks to make individuals more confident and assertive in themselves. We want to inspire people to become positively selfish and understand if you don’t care about yourself first then you can’t become your best self and put your best foot forward to anything. We want to achieve these means by education media and apparel.
- ENCRYPTIUM, Kellen Karls and Alex Mathison. Encryptium stores access management information using decentralization technology to take data off a companies' server. This allows companies to verify logins and identities without them even holding the data and therefore preventing information from being lost in the case of a data breach.
- KNM, Nick Miller. KNM Productions LLC is an event production and media company. KNM Productions currently offers DJ, videography, and photography services with plans to expand to offer photo booths, live sound and lighting, graphic design and commercial media services as well. KNM Productions strives to be the premier, one-stop-shop for weddings, corporate events, and other events with the flexibility to offer specific individual services based on the needs and wants of our clients.
- MILK CHOCOLATE PRODUCTIONS, Luc Pham. Milk Chocolate Productions, LLC is a music video production company dedicated to promoting representation for artists of color in and around Des Moines, Iowa. By creating thoughtful, innovative and unconventional videos (with viral potential), MCP serves to propel local talent into the national spotlight and provides a platform for artists of diverse backgrounds to share their voices with the world.
- PICTO, Sohil Brahmbhatt and Case Martin. Picto puts the social back in social back in social media. Picto is based on trust, accessibility and togetherness. With Picto, you create groups to share content. There is no posting alone so if you want to share things you always do so collaboratively. We are so excited to share with the world with we believe is a healthier, easier and more mindful alternative to today's social media.
- RAY’S PET SHOP, Ravyn Anderson. Ray’s pet shop is your one stop shop to make your dogs or cats healthier, smarter and happier. With boarding, training, dog walking and custom-made supplements designed to help personally help each animal.
Meet the Summer 2018 Lorentzen Student Hatchery Cohort
Meet the Summer 2017 Lorentzen Student Hatchery Cohort
Meet the Summer 2016 Lorentzen Student Hatchery Cohort
- FitSolutions: Mark Fouad
- Books & Keap: Mike Coltrain
- Flipped Art: Alex Peterson & Whitney Leming Salisbury
- Seec: Hannah Keisker
- SportsLab360: Nicholas Manzoni & TJ Poll
Meet the Summer 2015 Lorentzen Student Hatchery Cohort
- Glimpse: Ethan Turner & Johnathan Osifuye-White
- Kelsi Ziemann Artistry: Kelsi Ziemann
- Settled In: Alexi de Lathouder & Brayton Deprey
- Snippster: Kai Asberry
- Dates for Two: Garrett Carty, Chris Fairbank, Sam Lowry & Braeden Stanley
Lorentzen Hatchery in the News
About the Hatchery
John Lorentzen (Drake B.A. and B.S.B.A in Political Science, Economics, and Management, 1977) founded the Hatchery with the intent to help Drake University students get a head start on creating their own business through a generous donation to the program.
If you have any questions, please contact the Entrepreneurship Center in Aliber Hall or email us.