Actuarial Science Minor
Bring added expertise to your major at a university uniquely qualified to offer one of the best actuarial science educations in the world.
A minor in Actuarial Science will allow you to apply solid quantitative skills in completing several of the introductory Actuarial Science courses without making a full commitment to the major.
You'll learn the cornerstones of actuarial science from one of the nation’s leading institutions for the discipline – Drake is one of only 20 universities in the United States, and 37 in the world, to be recognized as a Center for Actuarial Excellence (CAE) by the Society of Actuaries.
MINOR OPTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
This minor is open to any student meeting the prerequisites for the courses, regardless of major.
The requirements for the minor are:
- Math 050 (Calculus I)
- Math 070 (Calculus II)
- Insurance 51 (Personal Risk Management
- Actuarial Science 120 (Theory of Interest) and corresponding lab 120L
- Actuarial Science 131 (Introduction to Probability I) and corresponding lab 131L
- Actuarial Science 140 (Statistics for Risk Modeling I)
- Choice of either Actuarial Science 135 (Mathematical Statistics) OR Actuarial Science 150 (Life Insurance Mathematics I)
For a comprehensive list of courses for the Actuarial Science Concentration offered by the College of Business and Public Administration, visit this page.
FIND OUT MORE
We love talking about the great things happening at Drake, but nothing beats a visit to campus. Let us know you're coming, and we'll arrange for you to meet professors, sit in on a class, or just hang out with current students.
Toby White, Ph.D., CFA, FSA
Chair: Actuarial Science, Risk Management, and Insurance
Associate Professor of Finance and Actuarial Science