Access and Success offers:
- Appointments at the pre-admission and pre-enrollment stages
- Review of Drake's policies and procedures regarding students with disabilities
- Identification and coordination of classroom accommodations
- Note takers, scribes and readers
- Referral to appropriate campus resources
- Advocacy and liaison with University community
- Campus accessibility consultation
- Priority snow removal for students with mobility issues
- Information and referral to vocational rehabilitation agencies and other community resources
- One on one coaching appointments
- Time Management, Calendar planning, accountability help
How do I arrange academic accommodations?
- After admitted to Drake, attend an Orientation
- Contact the Drake Office of Access and Access, in-person, by telephone, or email at SDS@Drake.edu. To start the process, you will need to fill out an Intake Form here. Please contact the Office of Access and Success if you need any accommodations in this process.
- Completely fill out the Intake Form, and provide the Office of Access and Success with sufficient documentation of your disability to the office via fax, email, or in-person delivery. The Intake Form and submitted documentation will be reviewed by an Access and Success Staff member.
- Schedule and attend an intake appointment with your Coordinator. New students to Access and Success will meet with Brooke Sanders, the new student coordinator. Feel free to reach her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. During the intake appointment, you and your Coordinator will engage in an “interactive” process in which you discuss the following:
- The documentation you submitted;
- Barriers you experience in your academics and/or activities;
- Your accommodation inquiries and suggestions; and
- The specific adjustments or services (reasonable accommodations) that are available for you, and how to set up those accommodations
- During your appointment with Access and Success, an email will be sent by a staff member to all your instructors listing your approved reasonable accommodations. You are responsible to follow-up with your instructors to discuss accommodations. A faculty member may have additional questions or seek alternative arrangements, and the Office can help facilitate this process.
- Each semester, you will need to renew your accommodations by filling out either an Accommodation Renew Request Form if you've made no changes to your accommodations or a Accommodation Change Request Form if you are modifying your accommodations from the previous semester.
We thank you for your cooperation and participation in the process. Through these steps, the Access and Success Office will fully document the date you request accommodations, the nature of each request and any supporting documentation, the reason(s) for any denials, and the interactive process occurs.
What can Drake's Access and Success offer me?
Visit the Student Disability Services page here.
What are my responsibilities as a student with a disability?
Read a list of Student Responsibilities on the Current Student page here.
What are the guidelines for documenting various disabilities?
Read the Disability Documentation here.
Where can I find more information?
Visit our Resources page, or contact an Access and Success staff member at SDS@drake.edu or 271-1835.
Are there scholarships available for students with disabilities?
The Joseph H. Morris Scholarship is available to students with disabilities.