CPHS 2023 Commencement Ceremonies
Wednesday, May 17th, 2023
The College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (CPHS) held the annual Professional Hooding and Commencement Ceremony for professional program students on Friday, May 12th, 2023. The 63 Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences undergraduate students participated in the University Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony held on Saturday, May 13th.
Receiving their degrees and doctoral hoods during the CPHS Hooding and Commencement Ceremony were:
- 45 Occupational Therapy Doctoral (OTD) students
- 66 Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) students
- 4 Master of Athletic Training (MAT) graduates
- 9 Master of Health Informatics and Analytics (MS HIA) graduates
In addition to the doctoral and master’s degrees, many of the graduating students also received additional degrees or designations.
The Hooding and Commencement Ceremony included reflections from three of the graduating class student government representatives. Corby Roush (MAT), Sarah Brokus (OTD), and Jamie Rusan (PharmD) reflected on their experiences from the time they stepped foot on Drake’s campus to graduation and provided words of encouragement for the graduates as they start their careers. These students also led their classes through the Oath of an Athletic Trainer, the Oath of an Occupational Therapist, and the Oath of a Pharmacist.
Drake University President Marty Martin provided remarks on the important impact these graduates will have on the future of health care. CoraLynn Trewet, PH’03, Senior Medical Science Liaison with Bristol Meyer Squibb and chair of the College’s National Advisory Council welcomed the graduates into the Drake CPHS alumni network.
Of the 2023 PharmD graduates, 31 are pursuing residencies. Other PharmD graduates are pursuing fellowships, community pharmacy, and other specialized pharmacy positions. The 2023 OTD graduates are pursuing positions in pediatrics, mental health, and geriatric therapy. The 2023 MAT graduates are pursuing clinic positions and post-graduate education. The 2023 Health Sciences graduates are pursuing post-graduate education or positions in health care administration, public health, and medical sales.
“We congratulate all of our 2022-2023 graduates and are confident that they will have many accomplishments during their careers,” said Renae Chesnut, dean and professor. “They are proof that we are fulfilling our mission to prepare today’s learners to be tomorrow’s health care leaders.”
Pharmacy graduate awards announced during the ceremony included:
- Adam Butzler – Viatris Excellence in Pharmacy Award
- Ashlie Bunten – Wolters Kluwer Clinical Drug Information Award of Excellence in Clinical Communication
- Sneha Cyriac – APhA Senior Recognition Certificate
- Grace Dahlen – Russell Johnson Outstanding Community Practice Graduate Award
- Ellie Hodapp – Merck Royal Society of Chemistry Certificate of Excellence, and
- Jamie Rusan – Jerry L. Karbeling Memorial Leadership Award.