Careers with an economics major
An economics major can lead many directions. Where do you want to go?
Business career: Economics provides insight into the environment of business, but you need practical preparation too. Choose the BSBA degree. The BSBA Core Curriculum includes introductory courses in all business disciplines, so you will be well-prepared for a general business career. To strengthen your career prospects, consider a double major with Finance or Data Analytics.
Government: Many state and federal agencies as well as international organizations like the U.N. and the World Bank, hire “analysts” or "research assistants" to crunch economic data. For these jobs, the Quantitative Economics major is your best bet (either BA or BSBA). Strengthen your transcript with additional courses in data analytics and computer science.
Graduate school in Economics: To be a professional economist, you need a graduate degree in economics. Graduate programs require advanced math and statistics (check their web sites!), so choose the Quantitative Economics major (BA or BSBA). Consider taking additional courses in math or computer science. Be sure to talk to your professors—they have been there!
Law school: Many lawyers and judges majored in economics as undergrads. For example, Mark Cady, late Chief Justice of the Iowa Supreme Court, graduated from Drake with a major in Economics. Math is less important for law school, but writing is very important. Choose the regular Economics major and take plenty of elective courses that require intensive writing. The BSBA degree will help prepare you for corporate law, but choose the BA degree if you want a double major in Political Science, History, etc.
Graduate school in other fields: Fields like Finance, Public Policy, and International Relations all use economics as an analytical framework, so studying economics as an undergraduate will give you an advantage in graduate school. These fields are all increasingly quantitative, so the Quantitative Economics major is your best bet.
Get help: Get help with your job search at the CBPA Career Center, 201 Aliber Hall.
What recent graduates are doing: Graduate School and Law School
- PhD Program in Economics, Brown University
- Law School, University of Iowa
- Law School, University of Chicago
What recent graduates are doing: Employment
- Investment Operations Specialist, Principal Global Investors, Des Moines, IA
- Marketing Manager, Elevate Property Management, Wayzata, MN
- Administrative Officer, Jabatan Perkhidmatan Awam, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Assistant Crop Insurance Underwriter , Farmers Mutual Hail Insurance Company of Iowa , Des Moines, IA
- Warranty/Insurance Administrator, Lithia Volkswagen of Des Moines, Johnston, IA
- Business Development Manager, The Simons Group, Sugar Grove, IL
- Securities Representative, Central Financial Group, West Des Moines, IA
- Project Coordinator, Suruhanjaya Tenaga, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Finance Assistant, REDmoney Group, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Direct National Retention Agent, Nationwide Insurance, Des Moines, IA
- Public Finance Analyst, Piper Jaffray, Kansas City, MO
- Credit Analyst, First American Bank, Des Moines , IA
- Business Development Executive, Gamuda Land, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Assistant Human Resources Manager, Petronas Lubricants International Sdn Bhd, Perak, Malaysia
- Senior Customer Service Representative, Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Minneapolis, MN
- Strategy Analyst, Allstate Insurance, Northbrook, IL
- Assistant Methods Analyst, EMC Insurance Companies, Des Moines, IA
- Sr. Retirement Sales Specialist, Principal Financial Group, Des Moines, IA
- Sales Executive, Iowa Cubs, Des Moines, IA
- Relationship Manager, AssetMark, Phoenix, AZ
- Risk Consultant, Wells Fargo, Des Moines, IA
- Administrative Assistant, Iowa Department of Administrative Services, Des Moines, IA
- Actuarial Assistant, Principal Financial Group, Des Moines, IA
- Program Manager, State Public Policy Group, West Des Moines, IA
- Venture Capital Assistant, River Glen Private Capital, West Des Moines, IA
- International Tax - Transfer Pricing, RSM, Dallas, TX
- Customer Service Representative, Wells Fargo, Des Moines, IA
- Product Management Analyst, Global Atlantic Financial Group, Des Moines, IA
- Contract Underwriter, Merchants Bonding, West Des Moines, IA
- Financial Contractor, Global Atlantic Financial Group, Des Moines, IA
- Finance/Accounting Assistant, Kentzy International Inc, Des Moines, IA
- Leadership Development Program, Susquehanna International Group, Philadelphia, PA
- General Manager, Amana Colonies Golf Club and Event Center, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Associate, PwC, Chicago, IL
- Research Analyst , Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, St. Louis, MO
- AP Specialist and Analyst, Bank of Manhattan N.A., El Segundo, CA
- Underwriter, EMC Insurance Companies, Minnetonka, MN
- Pricing Analyst, Nationwide Insurance, Des Moines, IA
- Account Executive, Great American Insurance, Chicago, IL
- Human Capital Actuarial Analyst, Deloitte & Touche, Chicago, IL
- Project Consultant, Keyot, Des Moines, IA
- US Junior Associate, International Council of Malaysian Scholars and Associates, Des Moines, IA
- Consultant, Global Atlantic Financial Group, Des Moines, IA
- Crew Member, Conservation Corps, St. Paul, MN
- Associate 1 Transaction Advisory Services - Valuation and Business Modeling , EY Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Business Development Manager, Simons Group, Chicago, IL
- Application Developer, Principal Financial Group, Des Moines, IA
- Environmental Scientist, Tetra Tech, Chicago, IL.
Updated 4/5/2017 by WMB