Supporting your student through final exams
I am sure you are all counting the days for your students to come home for Thanksgiving break! Believe me when I say, they are counting the days too.
November is a time when students start to feel overwhelmed and lack motivation. They may have been discouraged because of their midterm grades, feel like they are behind in their classes, and nervous for the end of the semester.
As a family, now is the time to rally behind your student! It is not too late to finish the semester on a good note! Here are some ways to support your students as they prepare for finals and the end of the semester.
- Remind them to take care of themselves. Taking care of themselves often takes a back seat during the end of the semester. Getting the proper sleep, eating healthy, staying hydrated and getting exercise are great ways to refresh and rejuvenate.
- Encourage them to start studying early. Reviewing every subject every day helps to keep information fresh. Starting early allows them to be able to ask questions and to seek out help on content they may be struggling with.
- Be supportive. Send encouraging texts. Be a cheerleader for them!! Check in with them to make sure your student knows they have a support system rooting for them from home!
- Let them know that there are resources available. Access & Success offers academic coaching, including study skills and strategies. The Writing Center, Speaking Center and Tutoring are all available to help students with any challenges. The Counseling Center is available to help them with any personal problems. There is no shame in asking for help!
- Consider sending a care package. Nothing is more exciting than getting a little something from home.
The end of the semester is a challenging time for students. Making sure they have a strong support network cheering them on can help them manage their stress and finish the semester strong. We are here to help!
Director, Access & Success