Spring Orientation Schedule - Friday, January 26, 2024
8:30am - Check in
9:00am – Welcome
9:15am - Drake ITS and Student Services Center
Learn how to access and use all of Drake’s technology resources and why they are so important to you. In this session, you will also learn the basic functions of the Student Services Center, such as Drake Card functions, Bulldog Bucks management, and Parking Pass purchases.
9:45am - How to be a True Blue Bulldog
10:30am – Breakout Sessions - students can select two of the four sessions below:
- Recreational Services – Recreational Services provide numerous opportunities for you to stay active, build healthy relationships, and have fun. We offer a variety of programs and facilities and will take this time to discuss intramurals, wellness, group fitness, and recreation facilities.
- Student Accounts and Financial Aid – Next Steps - Learn about the student billing and payment process, how students approve parents to view their student accounts and arrange payment plans, and how scholarships, grants, loans, and work study are finalized and paid to student accounts.
Student Involvement - At Drake, there are plenty of ways you can get involved on campus! Come learn about the many opportunities to get involved and have fun on campus. From professional organizations to social or academic groups (and don’t forget about the exciting events in between), you can truly DU you!
- Study Abroad - is an important part of the Drake experience and one way we are delivering on Drake’s mission statement – preparing students for responsible global citizenship. In an increasingly interconnected world, a global mindset is more important than ever as you enter the workforce. Through diverse program and location options, varied course offerings to keep you on track for graduation, and a desire to make study abroad as affordable as a semester on campus, you can’t afford not to study abroad! The Global Engagement Office is here to help you along this journey. Attend this breakout session to learn about programs, finances, timelines and more.
- Access & Success - Academic Achievement is extremely important to a student’s success in college. Learning and understanding skills such as time management, good study habits, and reading strategies can be challenging when you are coming into college for the first time. This session aims to help students understand the importance of academic achievement and take some tools to be PROACTIVE for the start of the semester and not REACTIVE.
11:45am - College/School Meetings
- An important piece of college is what happens in the classroom. This is your opportunity to find out what you can expect from your college/school and ask any questions you may have.
1:00pm - Lunch and Conversation with Drake Staff & Faculty
- Representatives from other key offices and departments will join for lunch and conversation. (Professional and Career Development Services; Financial Aid; Student Accounts; International Programs and Admission)
2:00pm - Cowles Library Tour and Campus Tour
- Visit Cowles Library to learn about the resources available to you during your time at Drake. This Session will include a short tour to get oriented to the different library spaces and a brief introduction to online resources available.