School of Journalism & Mass Communication Dean Team
School of Journalism & Mass Communication (SJMC) Dean Team Scholars will be immersed in the media profession through networking with media professionals, leadership development opportunities, tours of media companies, and meetings with the Dean during their first year at Drake.
The SJMC Dean Team Scholars program elements include:
- $500 first-year Dean Team Scholars award for books and incidental expenses
- Monthly Dean Team Scholars meetings with the Dean of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication during a Scholar’s first year at Drake
- Networking opportunities with SJMC National Advisory Council members
- Leadership development opportunities including mentorship of future SJMC Dean Team Scholars
- Immersion in the media profession through agency tours, visits to major employers, meetings with industry leaders, and networking with media professionals
The following criteria is required for a complete application:
- Entering first-year students must apply and submit all required application materials to Drake University by the application deadline.
- Students must indicate their first-choice major area as one of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication degree programs.
- Attend a virtual and/or on-campus visit by February 20, 2024.
- In addition, applicants must apply and submit the separate Dean Team application by February 20, 2024 as well. The Dean Team application will include submission of two video essays.
Selection and notification
Students will be notified by late-March. Students who are selected for the SJMC Dean Team must enroll at Drake by May 1, 2024 to be considered a member of the program.
Participants must be SJMC students and maintain a 3.0 GPA while in the program.
Special consideration will be given to those who are the first person in their immediate family to attend a four-year institution.
Law 3 + 3
Undergraduate awards available for 3 years or until first year of Law Program (L1).
Doctor of Pharmacy
Undergraduate awards available for 4 years or through the 2nd year of the Pharmacy Program (P2).
Occupational Therapy Doctorate 3+3
Undergraduate awards available for 3 years or until the first year of the OTD program (O1). There is a one-time, $5,000 scholarship for O1.
Masters in Athletic Training
Undergraduate awards available for 3 years or until the first year of the Athletic Training Program (AT1). There is a one-time, $5,000 scholarship for AT1.