Skip Sub Menu

J-Term 2021: Student Finance
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers


1. Q: If a student is registered for 18 credit hours in the Spring 2021 semester, will a J-Term class create an overload billing?

A: No, there is no tuition charge to fulltime undergraduate or Pharmacy students (as determined by registration for the Spring 2020 semester) for up to a 3-credit hour J-Term class. For J-Term 2021, the charge for taking a 4th credit in J-Term will be waived. A fulltime undergraduate is one who is registered for at least 12 credit hours.

2. Q: Are fulltime professional pharmacy, law and graduate students treated differently than fulltime undergraduates for J-Term?

A: For Pharmacy students, P1 to P3, the same rules apply as apply for fulltime undergraduates. Law and other graduate students in professional programs who enroll in J-Term classes that also accept undergraduates would pay full tuition for the course at the undergraduate tuition rate. [This rule is currently under consideration. If it changes we will advise.] Graduate students in courses which are designed exclusively for graduate students will be subject to charges determined by the appropriate graduate department.

3. Q: If a student is registered for a 4-credit hour J-Term class (for example, Mexican Culture plus an optional 1 credit Spanish language class) will he/she be billed for the extra credit hour?

A: For J-Term 2021, the charge for taking a 4th credit in J-Term will be waived.

4. Q: If an undergraduate student is registered for 9 hours for the Spring 2021 semester, plus a 3-credit hour J- Term, will he/she be considered fulltime for billing purposes?

A: No, the J-Term is considered a separate billing term. The student would be billed 9 hours at the part-time undergraduate rate for Spring 2021 plus 3 hours at the part-time J-Term rate for the J-Term course.

4. Q: If a student is registered for 9 credit hours in the Spring, but also on the waitlist for a 3-credit class, is that student considered fulltime?

A: No. The calculation of fulltime status does not include classes for which a student is on the waiting list. This student would be considered part-time in the Spring and, thus, be billed for their J-Term credits.

5. Q: If a student has a J-Term course and is registered part-time for Spring, but then adds additional credit hours after the beginning of Spring semester to bring the student to full-time, will the student be charged for J- Term?

A: Initially yes, but once the student is billed full-time for the Spring term the J-Term tuition charge will be removed.

6. Q: In November 2020, if a student is on financial hold and not able to register for Spring 2020 courses, but is already registered for a 2021 J-Term course, will the student be charged for the J-Term course?

A: Yes. The student will be charged the prevailing per-credit hour rate for the J-Term course. If the hold is removed and the student subsequently registers as a fulltime student for Spring 2021, they will not be charged for up to 4 credits in J-Term.

7. Q: What is the charge to a graduate student for a J-Term class?

A: Graduate students who enroll in classes that are also open to undergraduate students will be billed at the prevailing undergraduate per credit hour rate. Rates for a class designed exclusively for graduate students not in the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences will be the standard graduate rate for the appropriate unit. [This rule is currently under consideration. If changes are made, we will advise.]

8. Q: When will J-Term charges be billed and due?

A: All J-Term charges, including Room and Board charges, will initially be billed in December of 2020.

9. Q. Is financial aid available for J-Term?

A. The Office of Student Financial Planning will work with students individually on cost of attendance issues and will combine J-Term and Spring enrollment, as allowed by regulation, to determine eligibility. Since many students use their maximum eligibility from institutional, federal and state financial aid programs in order to meet fall and spring costs, additional funding for J-Term may reside primarily in education loans. Students should contact the Office of Student Financial Planning to discuss specific financial aid awards.

For additional J-term 2021 questions that are directly related to Finance, please contact:

Student Account Services
Old Main
2507 University Ave
Des Moines, IA  50311-4516

J-term 2021 Finance FAQs

University News