Current students can click here to schedule an appointment.
How do I arrange academic accommodations?
- Contact the Drake Office of Student Disability Services, in-person, by telephone, or email at SDS@Drake.edu. To start the process, you will need to fill out an SDS Intake Form here. Please contact the Office of Student Disability Services if you need any accommodations in this process.
- Completely fill out the Intake Form, and provide the Office of Student Disability Services with sufficient documentation of your disability to the office via fax, email, or in-person delivery. For guidance on the documentation required, review our Documentation Guidelines. The Intake Form and submitted documentation will be reviewed by a Disability Services Staff member.
- Schedule and attend an intake appointment with your Coordinator. During the intake appointment, you and your Coordinator will engage in an “interactive” process in which you discuss the following:
- The documentation you submitted;
- Barriers you experience in your academics and/or activities;
- Your accommodation inquiries and suggestions; and
- The specific adjustments or services (reasonable accommodations) that are available for you, and how to set up those accommodations.
- For course-specific reasonable accommodations, you will then be provided a Student Academic Accommodation Request Form listing your available accommodations. You must meet with your faculty/instructors and obtain the required signatures on the forms, and return them electronically or to the SDS Office in Room 107, Old Main. A faculty member may have additional questions or seek alternative arrangements, and the Office can help facilitate this process.
- You will need to check in with the SDS Office and receive approvals each semester for accommodations.
We thank you for your cooperation and participation in the process. Through these steps, the SDS Office will fully document the date you request accommodations, the nature of each request and any supporting documentation, the reason(s) for any denials, and the interactive process occurs.
What Are My Responsibilities as a Student with a Disability?
Are there scholarships available for students with disabilities?
Joseph H. Morris Scholarship