View the 2021 Spring Exam Schedule
If you have an acute need to reserve space in the library to take exams or you are taking an exam in ExamMonitor and do not have access to a computer with webcam, email email@example.com.
Review the following:
Before the Exams
Make sure you have paper in the event of a computer malfunction
- Your exam number is provided to you via email. This is the only number you should place on your exams if you are hand writing. All students receive a new exam number each semester. Do not guess your exam number. Do not use an exam number from a previous semester.
- Students must fill out the exam survey in order to sit for exams. The survey requires you to acknowledge you are bound by the Code of Student Conduct, that you understand the newly implemented exam rules and to provide a cell phone number at which you can be reached during the exam period.
- Examplify users must be using a laptop configured to connect to a wireless network. Loaner laptops are not available for exams. A limited number of desktops may be avaialbe upon request.
- Chromebooks, Android tablets, and iPads cannot be used to take a test. Microsoft Surface Pro and Microsoft Surface Book are capable since they run Windows 10.
- Non-JD students who believe they may qualify for ESL (English as a second language) accommodations should contact Dean Lee-Schneider.
- ADA (American with Disabilities Act) accommodations require approval from the Student Disability Services Coordinator, Michelle Laughlin (515-271-1835). Accommodations must be renewed each semester. Final arrangements for all accommodations must be made two weeks before the beginning of the final examination period or a midterm.
- If you have a known illness that prevents you from taking your exams as scheduled, you must make arrangements with Dean Lee-Schneider.
- If you have an illness or other emergency the day of the exam that prevents you from taking the exam, call Dean Lee-Schneider at 515-271-2948. A doctor's excuse will be required.
All law students are responsible for knowing and understanding the exam process rules and how they apply to their individual exam schedules. Exam questions are embedded into Examplify and will be visible to you when you log in. Be sure to read the entire question, this may require you to scroll through the question. Students will not come to campus to take their exams unless prior arrangements have been made.
- Set Exams: Students are expected to log in to Examplify for their exams by 8:30 a.m. on the morning of their exam.
- Flex Exams: If you have a flex exam, you are allowed to take it any time during the exam period. The exam administrators are only available Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Students that reside outside of the Central time zone and believe that the scheduled time of an exam will detrimentally impact their ability to take the exam may reach out to Lori Richman to reschedule their exam.
General Exam Rules
- Students will not get exams in hard copy and there is not an option to print exams.
- No device capable of recording, transmitting, or otherwise interfering with the exam may be used, including cell phones, iPods, MP3 players, cameras, digital or tape recorders, smart watches, or any similar devices.
- You may only have in your possession what is allowed by your specific exam instructions.
- If a student needs to write their exam, contact Lori Richman, via email or at 515-271-4511 to discuss that process.
- To preserve exam anonymity, at no time should a student inform a professor of a problem related to the taking of an exam. If you have any exam administration issues you wish to discuss, including serious illness or death in the family, contact Dean Lee-Schneider via email or at 515-271-2948.
- All students are bound by the Code of Student Conduct. Because the student body polices itself, it is imperative that all students review the Drake Law School Code of Student Conduct.
- All students taking an in-school exam on a laptop must use ExamSoft software, unless otherwise specified in their exam instructions. Loaner laptops are not available during exams, however, there are a very limited number of desktops available.
- If you have a computer malfunction during the exam call ExamSoft at 866-429-8889, or Drake ITS at 515-271-3001.
- It is very important that make sure you upload your exam. Do not close your laptop until it says Upload Complete.
- You are only allowed to use resources detailed in your specific exam instructions.
- You must use Examplify.
- You will be automatically exited from Examplify at the completion of your exam.
- Remember you are bound by the Code of Student Conduct. Do not discuss any exam, with any student, at any time.
- Do not share the exam question, exam topics, or any other exam information with any other student.
- Answer multiple choice questions in Examplify. Navigate carefully through multiple choice questions.
- If you’re using Examplify and you experience computer malfunctions during the exam, you are not allowed to switch to another computer.
- Be sure to upload your exam. After your computer closes out of Examplify, wait for the upload confirmation and make sure you receive it on your screen. Do not close your laptop until you have seen the green mark. If you experience problems uploading your exam, call ExamSoft at 866-429-8889. If your exam does not upload, the exam coordinator will contact you to complete the process.
- You may use your own scratch paper. When you complete your exam, destroy any scratch paper used during your exam. Do not share your scratch paper with anyone.
- Students may use a second monitor to take remote exams. The Examplify screen will only show on one monitor and the laptop will remain locked down.
Take-home exams will be distributed through TWEN. Follow the professor's instructions for the exam.
Make up Examinations
Permission to take a final exam on a date or at a time other than scheduled shall be granted only in the following circumstances:
- Where illness to the student prevents taking the exam.
- Where the student has two exams scheduled at the same time or the same day.
- Where the student has final exams on two or more consecutive days*
- Where taking an exam on a particular day conflicts with a religious obligation of the student*
- In the discretion of the Assistant Dean's Office for extraordinary circumstances.
- Students shall apply for permission to make up an exam by contacting Dean Lee Schneider.
*Note: A student who elects to request a make-up exam under provisions (2), (3), or (4) above will be required to take the make-up exam on a scheduled make-up day selected by the assistant dean. If taking the exam on the make-up day causes the student to have exams on two or more consecutive days, provision (3) above will not be a valid basis for rescheduling one of those exams.
Exemptions (1) and (5):
When exemptions are granted under provisions (1) or (5) above, the assistant dean shall schedule make-up exams as soon as practicable after the regular exam session.
Exemptions (2), (3), or (4):
Exemption requests under provisions (2), (3) or (4) above shall be filed at least three weeks before the exam period starts each semester.
Order of Make-up Exams
Where two course exams are to be held the same day or at the same time, students who have a conflict will take the exam with the higher course number as their make-up exam at a date to be fixed by the assistant dean. Where the student has final exams scheduled on two or more consecutive days, the second exam in the series will be taken as the make-up exam. Every effort will be made to schedule all students taking the same make-up exam at the same time.
No final exams may be distributed to a class (take-home exams) prior to the first day of the final examination period. Students are not permitted to take a fixed exam prior to the scheduled exam date.
If You Need Assistance
If you have an illness, computer malfunction or other emergency the day of the exam that prevents you from taking the exam, call one of the numbers below. Do not call your professor.
- Examplify’s 24/7 Helpline: 1-866-429-8889. press 1 for support after you first dial, then you will be provided additional options:
#1 for username and password
#2 to confirm exam upload
#3 for all other questions
- Lori Richman: 515-271-4511
- Dean Lee Schneider: 515-271-2948
- Drake ITS: 515-271-3001