Next Course Food Recovery
Where do you think the leftover lasagna at Hubbell goes at the end of the day? What about the hundreds of pounds of food from Relays Week and all the catering events that Drake holds?
Previously, all of this food went to waste. Now, Drake University and Sodexo partner on a food recovery program! This campus chapter, Next Course, follows the lead of the Food Recovery Network. With the help of students, faculty, and staff, Next Course will help relocate food resources to provide nutritious meals to people in need in the Des Moines area.
Volunteers are always needed! Volunteer shifts are every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and can take place anytime between 2-4pm. It only takes 30-45 minutes to complete! See shifts and volunteer here!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more or get involved with the student organization.
Follow Next Course on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and check out more on the Next Course website.
Nearby food resources for Drake students, faculty and staff:
- Little Free Food Pantries - there are at least 10 Little Free Food Pantries around the Drake Neighborhood; anyone is welcome to leave or take food; no restrictions
- Drake Area Food Pantry (a DMARC Food Pantry) - 3226 University Ave. Guidelines exist.
- Hope + Elim Church, 2500 University, serves hot meals Wednesdays from 5-6pm. No ID needed - drive through for a hot meal and non-perishable goods.
- Sprout: The Des Moines Urban Youth Learning Garden - people who volunteer with the Sprout Garden or participate in programming are welcome to take home produce from the garden. Surplus produce is placed in a little free pantry adjacent to the garden for anyone to take.
- Community Fridges - anyone is welcome to leave or take food; no restrictions. Nearby locations include the Community Youth Concepts Community Fridge at 1446 Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway, and the Sweet Tooth Community Fridge located at Home Inc., 1618 6th Ave.
Other Basic Needs Resources (Housing, Transportation, Financial Security, Physical & Mental Health, etc.)