Civic Action Week
Civic Action Week 2021 will take place April 5-10!
Civic Action Week is a campus-wide week of events for students, faculty, staff, and the broader community to learn, engage, and encourage collective responses to persistent societal challenges.
Civic Action Week will center around the Pathways for Civic Action and Social Change. We recognize that there are many strategies needed to create change; the Pathways include: Community Engaged Learning & Research, Community Organizing & Activism, Direct Service, Philanthropy, Policy & Governance, and Social Entrepreneurship and Corporate Responsibility.
Share your Impact
Tag us on social media @drakeservice #DrakeServes to let us know how you're participating in the week. There will be chances to win prizes throughout.
Civic Action Week Calendar
Tentative List of Events, more events will be added soon so check back! Click on the events for more information or to register.
Monday, April 5
Tuesday, April 6
Thursday, April 8
- Harkin Institute's Sussman Lecture Featuring Nikole Hannah-Jones; 7pm; a community-wide dialogue about systemic oppression and racial equity. Hannah-Jones is the creator of the 1619 Project. Register in advance.
Friday, April 9
- Volunteer Day in the Sprout Garden, 9am-3pm. Help stain the wood, lay mulch, and organize the shed. Wear clothes you can get dirty. Come for any or all time you are free during that time period. If it is raining, we won't meet during that time, however if it clears up we'll plan to work. Sign up.
- Community Walk: 1pm, Join Sydnei Washington, Community Outreach Senator, for a walk around the Drake Neighborhood. Meet outside Olmsted. You are not required to sign up but it can be helpful - email email@example.com. In case of bad weather, the community walk will be pushed back to the following Friday at 1pm.
- Sprout Garden Ribbon Cutting: 3:30pm in the Sprout Garden (located at Carpenter and 30th Street). Advanced registration requested but not required. (MOVED FROM WEDNESDAY DUE TO INCELEMENT WEATHER)
Saturday, April 10
Look for donation bins in the Olmsted Student Life Center and other locations across campus for the various drives occurring.
- Donation Drive for IMPACT Community Action Food Pantry. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donation Drive for St. Vincent DePaul Des Moines. Contact email@example.com.
- Long-sleeve Shirt Drive for Farmerworkers, supporting Proteus, Inc. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Participate in the Dogtown Dash! Support local businesses by visiting 8 businesses in the Drake Neighborhood, and earn a T-shirt! Deadline to visit all 8 is May 2. For a list of participating vendors or official rules, click here.
- Griff Gives Back - donate adult dog and cat food. Click here for more information and drop-off locations.
- Cards for Findley First-Graders - Make a card for a first-grader (or 3!) at Findley Elementary School! Share your name, where you're from, your major, some of the things you do at Drake, and a word of advice for the students. Drop off to the Office of Community Engaged Learning by Monday, April 12 at 1:30pm. Contact email@example.com.
- Visit www.drake.edu/volunteer for other volunteer opportunities.