Civic Action Week
Civic Action Week 2022 will take place April 4-9!
Civic Action Week is a campus-wide week of events for students, faculty, staff, and the broader community to learn, engage, and encourage collective responses to persistent societal challenges.
Civic Action Week will center around the Pathways for Civic Action and Social Change. We recognize that there are many strategies needed to create change; the Pathways include: Community Engaged Learning & Research, Community Organizing & Activism, Direct Service, Philanthropy, Policy & Governance, and Social Entrepreneurship and Corporate Responsibility.
Share your Impact
Tag us on social media @drakeservice #DrakeServes to let us know how you're participating in the week. For each tag, you'll be entered into a raffle to win prizes such as a Griff Drake Serves T-shirt!
2022 Civic Action Week Calendar
Monday, April 4
- Tabling in the Olmsted Breezeway, 9-11am - stop by to learn about the events of the week and grab some swag! Sponsored by Office of Community Engaged Learning
- Let's Talk About It: Women's Suffrage, 5:30pm, Cowles Library Reading Room. History Professor Dr. Karen Leroux and Drake student Katherine Crockett will facilitate a discussion on Martha S. Jones's book "Vanguard: How Black Women Broke Barriers, Won the Vote, and Insisted on Equality for All. Selections from the book can be found here. Sponsored by Cowles Library and College of Arts & Sciences. (Pathway - Community Engaged Learning & Research, Community Organizing & Activism)
Tuesday, April 5
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month Day of Action, 9am-3pm, Olmsted and/or Helmick Commons. Sign a pledge to support survivors, learn about Drake prevention response and resources around campus, and grab some swag. Wear Teal and get free food! (9am Donuts, 11:30am Jimmy Johns, 1:30pm Ice Cream). Sponsored by Drake Prevention Ambassadors. (Pathway- Community Organizing & Activism).
- Careers in Social Change Virtual Panel: Direct Service, 4-5pm on Zoom. Panelists include Cecily Robinson from Easter Seals Iowa, Michelle Raymer from Iowa Commission on Volunteer Service, and Johnathan Preston from Community Youth Concepts. Register on Handshake. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Sponsored by Office of Community Engaged Learning and Professional and Career Development Services. (Pathway - Direct Service)
- Las Cafeteras Concert, 7:30pm, Turner Jazz Center. Las Cafeteras combine music with social justice and higher education. Songs and themes range from the Civic Rights Movement to immigration reform. Sponsored by the Office of Equity and Inclusion. (Pathway - Community Organizing & Activism)
Wednesday, April 6
- Sprout Garden Volunteer Day, 2-4pm. Help prepare the garden for Spring planting by sprucing up the area, amending soil, and other projects as needed. Come and go as you are able. People are welcome to just come out and visit the space, as well! Contact email@example.com. Sponsored by the Sprout Garden through the Office of Community Engaged Learning. (Pathway - Direct Service)
Thursday, April 7
- Disability Services and Advocacy Event, 4-6pm, Harkin Institute. Representatives from Drake, Harkin Institute, and local non-profits will share information about their services. You'll have the chance to participate in simulated activities and a roundtable discussion on topics related to disability services. The goal of the event is to create a space for people to bravely learn about and discuss disability experiences. Our hope is every participant will walk away with the tools to be a better advocate and ally for people experiencing disabilities. RSVP here. Contact Kiley Kahler (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Mel Sadecki (email@example.com) for more information or to request accommodations. Sponsored by the Office of Community Engaged Learning. (Pathway - Community Organizing & Activism)
Friday, April 8
- Civic Action Academy, 10am-2pm. This event is free and will happen virtually. All Drake students are welcome to attend. Participants can choose the sessions they want to attend and are not required to attend the whole thing. Topics range from Demystifying Advocacy to Reflective Practice for a Just Society to information on School Boards and more. Learn more and register. Sponsored by Iowa & Minnesota Campus Compact.
- POSTPONED: Drake Neighborhood Community Walk: 11:30am-12:30pm, Join Brian Orellana, Community Outreach Senator and Community Engagement Peer for Equity and Inclusion, for a walk around the Drake Neighborhood. Meet outside Olmsted. You are not required to sign up but it can be helpful - email firstname.lastname@example.org. (Learn about the Drake Neighborhood Association!) Sponsored by the Office of Community Engaged Learning and Student Senate. (Pathway - Community Organizing and Activism) (This event is postponed due to poor weather conditions, it will be re-scheduled for another day)
- APO & Phi Delta Chi Blood Drive - 11am-2:30pm. In partnership with LifeServe Blood Center. Appointments are required - sign up for a time. (Pathway - Philanthropy)
- Free Movie Friday, 9pm, Sussman Theater - Join for the film "Just Mercy," the thought-provoking true story of young lawyer Bryan Stevenson and his history-making battle for justice. Sponsored by the Office of Community Engaged Learning and the Student Activities Board (SAB). (Pathway - Community Organizing and Activism)
Saturday, April 9
All Week -
Ukraine Humanitarian Aid Drive - drop off donations of first aid kits, socks, winter gloves, thermal underwear or sanitary and hygienic sets to various locations in Cowles Library, including the Global Engagement Office across from Midnight Hall and the Office of Community Engaged Learning in the lower level. Donations will go through Iowa Sister States to our Sister State of Cherkasy Oblast and will be collected until April 15.
Donate to the Little Free Pantries in the Drake Neighborhood - Drop off your donations of non-perishable goods and personal hygiene items. (Pathway - Philanthropy)
Donate Adult Dog and Cat food to the Griff Gives Back project. (Pathway - Philanthropy)
Visit www.drake.edu/volunteer for other volunteer opportunities.