Skip Sub Menu


The Pharmacy Profession FAQ



What can I do with a pharmacy degree?

There are many career avenues for licensed pharmacists that include community pharmacy (retail or independent pharmacy), hospital practice, work within the pharmaceutical industry, work with pharmacy associations and regulatory agencies, academia, and consulting.  Drake’s program is designed to expose students to a variety of opportunities in pre-pharmacy and provide in-depth experiential learning opportunities throughout the PharmD program to help students focus their education in an area that will meet their career goals. 

What is Drake's placement rate for PharmD graduates?

Drake has had nearly 100% placement since 1984.

If I graduate with a PharmD from Drake, can I become licensed and practice in a state other than Iowa?

A Drake graduate does not necessarily need to practice pharmacy in Iowa after taking the state licensing examination.  Iowa pharmacy licenses can be transferred to most states through reciprocity, although some states may require you to take all or part of their state licensing examination, in particular the parts that pertain to specific laws within the state.  

Check with your state's Board of Pharmacy to find out how your Iowa pharmacy license can transfer.

When should I apply for one of Drake's PharmD dual degree programs (MBA, MPA, MSLD, Law, MPH)?

Students must be admitted to the PharmD program prior to applying for any of the dual degree programs.  Students generally learn about and apply for the dual degree programs during the P1 year.  Students apply to the  (MBA and MPA), School of Education (MSLD), Law School (Law), Des Moines University (MPH), or Drake Online (MS HIA) directly in order to enroll in these dual degree programs.  For more information about our dual degree programs and to see a sample curriculum for each, please see our Dual Degrees and Concentrations website.