Skip Sub Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Quick Links

Q. How do I contact Continuing Education and Professional Development?
Visit our Contact Us page, call 1-800-768-3224, or email 

Accessing myDrake

Q. Do I have a Drake Student ID Number? Where can I find it?
A. Every student taking courses through Continuing Education and Professional Development is assigned a Drake University student identification number. You will receive this nine-digit number via email the first time you are registered in the Drake University system. It is also found in the upper right hand corner of your transcript. If you cannot find your ID number, please contact our office and we can provide your ID number.

Q. What is my initial password? 
Before you can log into myDrake for the first time, you must change your password to something more secure by going to For your username, if you don’t have a email address, you must use your nine-digit Drake ID number in the form of an email address. For example, if your Drake ID number is 100123456, your username will be  Your initial password, as noted above, is your birthdate in MonDD#YYYY format. Once you have entered your username and password, click the 'Sign In' button. Only once you’ve changed your password from the initial birthdate-based password, will you be able to log into myDrake. 

For logging in to myDrake and all other Drake systems, you’ll use your Drake ID number in email address form if you don’t have a email address along with your new secure password. 

If run into any technical issues, please contact the Support Center at 515-271-3001 or visit for additional information.

Q. How do I view myDRAKE Account?
A. Connect to the myDrake portal at: You will need to use your Drake ID number and new password to log in.

Q. How do I change the contact information Drake has on file for me - phone number, address, or email address?
A. You may change your contact information with this link:

Q. How can I check my Student Account?
A. Connect to myDrake then click on "Student Services and Financial Aid" to view the following:

  • Student Records – Account Holds, Final Grades, Unofficial Transcript
  • Student Accounts- Account details, 1098-T tax notification.

Q. Where can I go to view my unofficial transcript?

Q. How can I get an official receipt for my courses?
A. Receipts for our coaching or physical education courses can be obtained by sending an email request to or calling 800-76-TEACH. In your request, please include your full name and Drake ID number.

Receipts for courses taken through an AEA, ISEA, or the West Des Moines Community School District can be obtained by contacting or calling (515) 271-4777.

Course Offerings

Q. Is Drake a fully accredited university?
A. Drake University has been on the approved list of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools since that association was established in 1913. Since reorganization of the Association in 2000, Drake University has been accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association:

North Central Association
Phone: (312) 263-0456

All School of Education certification and endorsement programs are approved and accredited by the Iowa Department of Public Instruction, pursuant to Chapter 79, Code of Iowa.

Q. Do you offer online courses?
A. Yes. Please visit our Online Course page for a complete list of course offerings.

Q. Do you offer courses for coaches and physical educators?
A. Yes, we offer courses in DVD correspondence format and in an online format. Please visit our Coaching Courses page for a complete list of course offerings.

Q. What are the technology requirements for the DVD correspondence courses for coaches and physical educators?
A. A personal computer or laptop (coursework is not compatible with mobile devices such as tablets and cell phones), Microsoft Word, a DVD player, and a personal e-mail address (school e-mails are not recommended due to school district firewalls).

Q. How many courses may I take at a time?
A. Students taking courses through the Continuing Education and Professional Development Department may register for up to 12 credits per semester. If you register for more than 12 credits, your money will be automatically refunded and you will be dropped from the course.

Q. What requirements are there if I want to teach in Iowa?
A. Go to the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners webpage for complete information.

Q. Do you offer any degrees or certifications via distance learning?
A. None of our programs result in a degree or endorsement. Certificates are awarded in Online Teaching Pedagogy.  

Q. Will your courses be accepted by my school district or my state's Department of Education? 
A. It is your responsibility to make sure that our courses are approved by your school district, Board of Education, or state Department of Education. If you need additional information about our courses to assist you in gaining approval, please contact our office.

Please note: At this time we cannot accept registrations from residents of the following: Washington D.C.

Q. Do your coaching courses count towards Pennsylvania's ACT 48 requirements? 
A. You must hold a Health or Physical Education Level 1 or 2 certificate in order for these courses to satisfy ACT 48 requirements.‌‌

Q. What are enrollment deadlines for Continuing Education courses?
A. Enrollment deadlines vary:

  • AEAs have different deadlines depending on the course offering. Check with your AEA to find their specific requirements.
  • Online courses have specific start and stop dates. Check our Online Course Offerings page for enrollment information.
  • Video course enrollments are continuous throughout the year. 

Q. Can I earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or Staff Development Units (SDUs) through Continuing Education and Professional Development?
A. No, Drake University School of Education awards Carnegie Units of graduate credit in semester hours. CEUs are offered by social service, nursing, or other organizations. SDUs are awarded by designated school districts and the nine Area Education Agencies and AEA Learning Online.

Q. What is an Area Education Agency (AEA) and what do they offer?
A. The K-12 public and private schools in Iowa are served by nine Area Education Agencies and AEA Learning Online. These agencies provide special education, staff development, and media services. Many have partnered with Drake University to offer graduate credit for specific staff development offerings. For more information and links to each AEA, visit the Area Education Agencies webpage.

Q. How do I apply to take courses through the Continuing Education and Professional Development department?
A. You need not apply or be accepted to Drake University to take courses through our department. You may register directly through our website. If you are interested in pursuing a specific graduate degree or endorsement program, however, please contact our Graduate Admissions Coordinator:

Lisa Kincaid
Graduate Admission, School of Education
Collier-Scripps Hall 221
2702 Forest Ave
Des Moines, IA  50311

To view graduate programs and endorsements, go to:

Q. How do Continuing Education and Professional Development (CPED) students drop a class?
A. If you registered through an Area Education Agency (AEA), ISEA, West Des Moines Community Schools, PLS 3rd Learning, or QEP, you should contact them directly. If you registered for courses specific to Athletic Coaches and Physical Educators or online courses developed by CEPD, please contact the CEPD Distance Learning Office directly at: or 1-800-76-TEACH (1-800-768-3224).

Correspondence Coursework Submission and Grading

Q. What if I have questions about the coursework? Is there someone who can help me?
A. Our staff can answer most questions about your coursework. Please contact our office at 1-800-768-3224 or If you have a more specific question we will put you in touch with a Grading Instructor.

Q. How do I convert a Google Doc into a Microsoft Word document?
A. For step-by-step directions for converting a Google Doc into a Microsoft Word document click this link: Google Doc Conversion Document‌.

Q. How long will it take for my coursework to be graded?
A. It can take up to 60 days for your coursework to be graded, so be sure to plan accordingly and allow enough time for the grading process.

Q. Can I get my coursework graded faster?
A. Yes. You can have the grading process expedited. For a fee of $90.00 we will have your grade in the Drake University system in five business days. To expedite your coursework, select the "expedite" option when submitting your coursework electronically through LearningStream, our registration and coursework submission system. Call our office with questions: 1-800-768-3224.

Q. Whom do I contact if I have a question about my Distance Learning grade?
A. Please contact Distance Learning at or 800-76 TEACH (800-768-3224).


Q. Will I automatically get a transcript?
A. No. Continuing Education and Professional Development (CEPD) students will no longer receive complimentary transcripts starting with the courses associated with the fall of 2023 semester. We will continue to send complimentary transcripts for courses associated with the summer 2023 semester and semesters prior until all grades have been entered. You will find information about ordering official transcripts, including the cost and how to access your unofficial transcript, using the link below.

Q. How can I print an unofficial transcript?
A. You may access and print an unofficial transcript by logging into myDrake. unofficial transcript access is provided under the “Student Records" heading.

Q. How can I order an official  Drake University transcript?
A. You can request an official transcript at:

Q. I took a course at the AEA, ISEA, or West Des Moines Schools and my grade was not on my Drake transcript. What should I do?
A. There may be several reasons your grade was not on your Drake transcript:

  • If your class is listed on your Drake transcript but there is no grade, grades may not have been submitted to Drake Continuing Education & Professional Development (CEPD) at the time of your request.                       
  • If neither your class nor grade was on your Drake transcript, your registration information and grade may not have been received at Drake Continuing Education & Professional Development (CEPD) at the time of your request.

Please contact Kelly Marckres, (515) 271-3976, for additional information.

Q. I see the phrase "Term in Progress" on my transcript. What does that mean?
A. Occasionally Extension Education students complete their course work and earn a final grade before the end date of the term for which they are registered. Consequently, the corresponding transcript displays the "term in progress" phrase to indicate that the transcript was printed before the end of the semester. The phrase has nothing to do with the validity of the final grade and is displayed only to indicate that it was printed before the semester's end date.

Equity and Inclusion
At the heart of Equity and Inclusion at Drake, we believe that acting upon opportunities and empowering our community is the way to achieve long-term and effective change. That commitment to community is demonstrated by a variety of student, faculty, and staff opportunities to join efforts in programs and initiatives. 

1098-T Tax Forms

Please click on the following link for the most updated information on 1098T Tax Forms: 1098-T Information | Drake University

In order for Drake University to generate a 1098T (tax document) for you, we need your complete Social Security Number. To provide this information please complete Part 1 of the IRS form W9-S. For more information contact Student Accounts at (515) 271-4777 or

Drake University will provide information, upon request, to any person concerning charges and payments related to their own academic activity at Drake University, regardless of whether or not a 1098T statement was generated. However, under the provisions of FERPA, financial information is protected information that will not be released to any person, other than the student, without the student’s express written consent. Persons who must have this consent to obtain information include a spouse, parent, or tax preparer.

Other Resources

Q. How can I gain access to the Drake Cowles Library resources?
A. Log into myDrake and click on the Cowles Library tab (found within the "Commonly Used Apps" toolbar that runs across the top of the page).  This gives you access to all of the electronic resources offered through Drake’s Cowles Library.