Instructions for College/School Marshals
College Marshal Responsibilities
Marshals are important to the smooth functioning of the ceremony because we do not have a rehersal ceremony. Students need careful guidance, particularly during the processional.
Prior to the day of commencement:
- Attend the preparation meeting related to the event. Specific time and date will be forwarded to you by an Assistant University Marshal.
- Read and be familiar with the directions provided to the graduates.
The day of the ceremony
Arrival for the 10:00 a.m. ceremony, at the Bell Center Gym is 9:00 a.m.
The students have been instructed to be seated by 9:15.
Arrival for the 2:00 p.m. ceremony, at the Bell Center Gym is 1:00 p.m.
The students have been instructed to be seated by 1:15.
LUNCH IS PROVIDED FOR MARSHALS BETWEEN THE CEREMONIES.
- Become familiar with the seating arrangements. Students are seated in their school/college alphabetically.
- Guide the students to the seat to which their name card is attached. Should changes be made in the seating arrangements, these must be finalized prior to the processional. The seating will be the same on the main floor for the ceremony. If a student does not have a seat direct them to the HELP sign. The Coordinator will make a card for them and the student will be directed to the end of the college/school line.
- Circulate among the students and assist them with their academic attire (caps square on the head, not tilted). Adding decorations, badges, flowers, etc. to caps and gowns is inappropriate. These must be removed.
- Tell students to pay attention to the instructions given by an Assistant University Marshal. After these instructions have been completed, circulate among the students to answer questions and clarify procedures.
- Instruct the graduates in the proper way to present their name card to the Reader of Names. Right side up and towards him.
- Direct those with concerns about the correct pronunciation of their names to the Reader of Names, who will be located at the Name Reader sign at the front of the assembly. Emphasize that only he can mark the cards.
- Any alcoholic beverages are not permitted and must be confiscated.
During the ceremony
- Upon reaching your school/college area on the main floor, assist the Assistant Marshal, in positioning the students in front of their chairs. Remember, they have the same seating arrangements in the Knapp Center as in the Bell Center.
- Diplomatically remove spectators who are impeding traffic in the students' seating area.
- Should someone need assistance, such as first aid, enlist the aid of the ushers or Knapp Center personnel for that purpose.
- Students do participate in the recessional.