Anthony Gaughan Profile
Professor of Law
Kern Family Chair in Law
Areas of Expertise
Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, Election Law, Evidence
JD – Harvard Law School
PhD (history) – University of Wisconsin-Madison
MA – Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge
BA – University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
Drake Law School professor since 2011
Iraq War veteran and former U.S. Navy officer
Five years as litigator with large Wisconsin law firm
- American Democracy Is Healthier Than It Appears, 100 Boston University Law Review Online 249 (2020) (symposium).
- James Madison, Citizens United, and the Constitutional Problem of Corruption, 69 American University Law Review 1485 (2020) (symposium).
- Chester Arthur’s Ghost: A Cautionary Tale of Campaign Finance Reform, 71 Mercer Law Review 779 (2020) (symposium).
- Putin’s Revenge: The Foreign Threat to American Campaign Finance Law, 62 Howard Law Journal 855 (2019) (symposium).
- Was the Democratic Nomination Rigged? A Reexamination of the Clinton-Sanders Presidential Race, 29 University of Florida Journal of Law and Public Policy 309 (2019).
- Trump, Twitter, and the Russians: The Growing Obsolescence of Federal Campaign Finance Law, 27 University of Southern California Interdisciplinary Law Journal 79 (2017).
- Illiberal Democracy: The Toxic Mix of Fake News, Hyperpolarization, and Partisan Election Administration, 12 Duke Journal of Constitutional Law & Public Policy 57 (2017) (symposium).
- The 40-Year War on Money in Politics: Watergate, FECA, and the Future of Campaign Finance Reform, 77 Ohio State Law Journal 791 (2016) (symposium).
- Ramshackle Federalism: America’s Archaic and Dysfunctional Presidential Election System, 85 Fordham Law Review 1021 (2016) (symposium).
- Collateral Damage and the Laws of War: D-Day as a Case Study, 55 American Journal of Legal History 229 (2015) (peer reviewed).
- Has the South Changed? Shelby County and the Expansion of the Voter ID Battlefield, 19 Texas Journal on Civil Liberties & Civil Rights 109 (2013).
- The Arlington Cemetery Case: A Court and a Nation Divided, 37 The Journal of Supreme Court History 1 (2012).
- The Last Battle of the Civil War: United States versus Lee, 1861-1883 (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 2011) (peer reviewed).
- Elected Member of the American Law Institute (2018)
- Leland Forrest Outstanding Professor of the Year, Drake University Law School (2015 and 2016)
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal, U.S. Department of Defense for service in Iraq (2008-2009)
- Iraq Campaign Medal, U.S. Department of Defense (2009)
- Excellence in Teaching Award from The Graduate School, University of Wisconsin-Madison (2000)
- French-Felton Award for Inspirational Teaching, College of Letters and Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison (1998)
ALI Biographical Profile
Anthony Gaughan Curriculum Vitae
Anthony Gaughan HeinOnline Author Profile Page
Anthony Gaughan ORCID ID Page
Anthony Gaughan SSRN Author Page