Neil Hamilton Profile
Director of the Drake Agricultural Law Center
Dwight D. Opperman Chair of Law, Professor of Law
Areas of Expertise
Agricultural Law, Land Use, Legislation, Food and the Law, Environmental Regulation of Agriculture, Wind Law
JD – University of Iowa, Order of the Coif
BS – Iowa State University (with honors and distinction)
Drake Law School professor since 1983
Assistant Attorney General for the Iowa Department of Justice
Assistant professor at the University of Arkansas
- Keeping the Farm and Farmer in Food Policy and Law, 11 Journal of Food Law & Policy 9 (2015).
- Farms, Food, and the Future: Legal Issues and Fifteen Years of the “New Agriculture”, 26 Journal of Environmental Law & Litigation 1 (2011).
- America's New Agrarians: Policy Opportunities and Legal Innovations to Support New Farmers, 22 Fordham Environmental Law Review 523 (2011).
- Farming an Uncertain Climate Future: What COP 15 Means for Agriculture, 2011 University of Illinois Law Review 341.
- The Legal Guide to Direct Farm Marketing (Drake University Agricultural Law Center, 1999).
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Iowa National Heritage Foundation
- Past president of the American Agricultural Law Association
- Chair of the Iowa Food Policy Council (2000-2007)
- Past chair of the Agriculture Law Section of the Association of American Law Schools
- Vice chair of the USDA Small Farms Advisory Committee (1997-2000)