Drake Opera Theatre
Experience Opera the Drake Way
Drake Opera Theatre (MUS 169) has a distinct mission: To help every student as they find their own unique path in the arts and through life on and off the stage. This mission guides us as we select repertoire, assign roles, and create learning and development opportunities in our productions and beyond.
Purchase tickets for Spring Production of Die Fledermaus on February 17th and 18th here.
Drake Opera Theatre has two productions every year: typically a fall scenes program and a full spring production.
Fall scenes present a variety of works from across the repertoire, giving students a chance to learn about both old masterworks and new compositions alike.
Spring productions are full productions with an orchestra, focusing on staple works as well as new compositions. Past productions include Mozart’s Le nozze di Figaro and Cosí fan tutte, Verdi’s Falstaff, Menotti’s The Old Maid and the Thief Ned Rorem’s Our Town, and Humperdinck's Hansel and Gretel.
The Drake University voice area has frequent masterclasses with industry-leading performers, teachers, directors and coaches. Recent clinicians include:
- Eric Ferring: Metropolitan Opera tenor, a former Ryan Center artist, and recipient of the George London Award.
- Allen Periello: Coach/pianist/former Head of Music at Minnesota Opera; current Director of Artist Administration at Des Moines Metropolitan Opera.
- Melissa Wegner: Executive Director of the Lindemann Young Artist program at the Metropolitan Opera
- Francesca Condeluci: Director of Classical at UIA Talent Agency.
What Makes Drake Opera Theatre Unique?
- Drake has the best of both worlds: quality productions and the chance to gain real experience. Don’t be forced to pick between competing with graduate students and missing out on leading roles or being limited to black box productions with piano. Drake gives you both quality and accessibility.
- Opera is more than just performing, and the ensemble offers learning opportunities that go far beyond performance, including assistant conducting and directing, and aiding and learning about various elements of production.
- Drake Opera Theatre is about more than just performing opera. We connect and empower students, the Department of Music, and the wider Des Moines community through powerful performances and outreach.
The Drake Opera Theatre Team
One of the things Drake Opera Theatre prides itself on is the sense of community and collaboration. We are stronger together, and have turned the Drake Opera Theatre into a truly communal effort, dubbing ourselves the Drake Opera Theatre Team.
Do you wish to learn more? Please feel free to click on the links to any of the Drake Opera Theatre Team’s pages above. There, you will find all of our contact information. We would love to hear from you!
Interested in supporting Drake Opera Theatre? You can do so online through the link below.
Support Drake Opera Theatre
Thank you for your support!