Transfer Credit Information

Graduate students: Please work with your college/school dean's office to determine course transferability.


How will my credits from other colleges or universities transfer to Drake?

Drake offers a multitude of resources that help explain how credits will transfer.

Tool Description Works Best For...
Transfer Evaluation System (TES)
This simple interactive tool allows you to look up a course you have taken at a different institution and see its equivalent course at Drake.  It also shows which, if any, areas of inquiry the transfer course satisfies. Quickly answering, "What is the Drake equivalent course to Course A taken at Institution X?"
Transferology is like a more sophisticated version of TES and allows you to enter all courses you have taken at other institutions (including Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and CLEP credit) and see how each of them would transfer into Drake. Those who are thinking about transferring into Drake
Course Equivalency Guides
These course articulation agreements between Drake and Iowa's community colleges include one-to-one course equivalencies as well as information about Drake degree requirements. Students attending an Iowa community college and considering transferring to Drake
Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and CLEP

This document displays the most current information regarding minimum scores and Drake equivalencies for AP, IB, and CLEP credit.

Finding minimum scores and corresponding Drake credit



Will all of my credits transfer to Drake?

In general, students may receive credit for academic courses taken at postsecondary institutions that were regionally accredited at the time the courses were taken.  Courses accepted for transfer credit must parallel courses offered at Drake University or otherwise be appropriate for college-level credit.  Other details include:

  • You must have earned a grade of "C-" or better in the transfer course.  Non-letter grades such as a "P," "S," or "CR" may be granted if the policy of the institution equates those grades to work completed at C- grade or better.
  • Courses that are considered vocational or techincal (career-specific) will be reviewed by the appropriate college/school dean's office for applicability.
  • You will need to request that the college or university mail a transcript to the appropriate office on campus (please see list below).
  • Credit will not be granted for courses that provide developmental or support topics, ESL courses, professional development certifications, test outs, or experiential learning granted by other institutions.
  • For undergraduate students
    • A maximum of 16 semester hours of vocational-technical credit may be granted at the discretion of the Drake college or school in which you enroll.
    • A cumulative total of 66 semester hours of credit from all two-year institutions attended may be applied to a degree.
    • An overall maximum of 94 hours may be applied toward a Drake degree (179 hours for Pharmacy).
    • A minimum of 30 hours must be completed at Drake.


As a current student, I’d like to take a few classes over the summer or online during the semester. What do I need to know?

It is to your advantage to check with your college/school dean's office before enrolling in a class at another institution.  This ensures that you and your dean's office agree on how the course will transfer back to Drake and apply toward your program.

Use the tools above to view course descriptions from other institutions and see their equivalent courses at Drake.

Transfer college work earns credit only and is not included in computing the Drake University cumulative GPA.  Students cannot remove unsatisfactory grades received at Drake by repeating those courses at other institutions and transferring the credit to Drake.

Once transfer credit has been applied, students can view their equated course information their unofficial transcript.


I already have completed a course at another institution, and now I'm ready to transfer the credit to Drake.  What do I need to do?

You must contact the other institution and request that they send Drake your official transcript.  Drake will not accept a transcript unless we receive it directly from the other institution.  If you’d like to send your transcript electronically, please have the institution email it directly to  If you would like to send it by mail, please use the following address and the appropriate Attention line per the table below.

Drake University
Attn: (see table below)
2507 University Ave
Des Moines, IA 50311

Transcript purpose Send Attention to Building
Current Drake Students Registrar Old Main
Study abroad while a Drake student Drake International The Point
Reenroll Students Registrar Old Main
Undergraduate Admission prior to your first class at Drake Undergraduate Admission Cole Hall
Graduate Admission- Education Graduate Admission- Education School of Education Building
Graduate Admission- College of Business & Public Administration Graduate Admission- CBPA Aliber Hall
Law School Admission Drake Law School Office of Admission Cartwright Hall
Cross Enrollment Students DMACC and Grand View should provide an official transcript to Drake at the end of each semester, but they may run on a different timeline than Drake. If your transfer credit has not been posted to your unofficial transcript one month after the end of the DMACC or Grand View semester ends, contact the Office of the Registrar first.  


I’m not seeking a degree at Drake, but I have taken courses at Drake and have credits from other institutions that I need to have validated. Can you post them to my record?

We cannot post transcript course work for non-degree seeking students.  Credits from international institutions may be reviewed by organizations such as the ECE or WES to assist you in validating and evaluating the courses.  They offer different levels of evaluation, so be sure to carefully read their list of services.


Can you mail a copy of my transcript from another institution when I request a Drake transcript?

A transcript is a snapshot of record at a single point in time, so only the originating institution knows the current details of your record there.  Most organizations would not accept transcripts from a third party, so Drake does not release transcripts from other institutions.  Please contact the originating institution for release of their records.  If you attended an Iowa college or school of nursing that is no longer in existence, the University of Iowa maintains their records.

Today at Drake
no events have been scheduled
University News
February 24, 2018
Bulldog Brass brings the noise for Drake Basketball, and Vince Kenney is there to lead them. "You’re almost a DJ for the whole event," he says. "You’re calling up the right tune at the right time."