Supreme Court Celebration
Join us for a celebration of Drake Law School's long-standing relationship with the Iowa Supreme Court - and special events to celebrate Professor Neil Hamilton's retirement!
Drake Law School's annual Supreme Court Celebration celebrates the history of academic excellence, leadership, and service at Drake Law and honors the Law School's symbiotic relationship with the Iowa Supreme Court. The 82nd annual Supreme Court Celebration is March 27-30, 2019. This year, in addition to our traditional Supreme Court Celebration events, we will celebrate Professor Neil Hamilton's retirement with a Festschrift Symposium and joint retirement/Drake Journal of Agricultural Law celebration banquet.
2019 Schedule of Events
Wednesday, March 27
- Student Bar Association Lunch and Awards Ceremony - noon, Cartwright Hall, Kern Commons
Thursday, March 28
- Student breakfast with the Justices of the Iowa Supreme Court - 8:30 a.m., Neal & Bea Smith Law Center
- Supreme Court Oral Arguments - 9:30 a.m., Neal & Bea Smith Law Center Courtroom
- Faculty lunch with Supreme Court Justices - 11:30 a.m., Neal & Bea Smith Law Center
- Drake Law Review Dinner and Awards Ceremony - 6 p.m., Cartwright Hall, Kern Commons
Friday, March 29
- Festschrift Symposium in honor of Professor Neil Hamilton - 1 p.m., Cartwright Hall, room 213 (A festschrift is a collection of writings published in honor of a scholar. The will publish a special Festschrift edition celebrating the scholarship and work of Professor Neil Hamilton this summer. The symposium will feature several of the article authors. Approved for 3.25 hours of CLE credit.)
- Drake Journal of Agricultural Law Dinner and Awards Ceremony/Neil Hamilton Retirement Celebration - 5:30 p.m. reception, 6:15 p.m. dinner and program, Temple for Performing Arts, 1011 Locust Street, Des Moines
Saturday, March 30
- Final round of the Supreme Court Celebration Competition - 10 a.m., Iowa Supreme Court, 1111 E. Court Avenue
- Moot Court Luncheon and Awards Ceremony - 11:30 a.m., Cartwright Hall, Kern Commons
- Supreme Court Celebration Banquet and Awards Ceremony - 6 p.m. reception, 7 p.m. dinner, Olmsted Center, Parents Hall. Keynote speaker: Akhil Reed Amar, Sterling Professor of Law and Political Science at Yale University.
2018 Awards and Recognition
Alumna of the Year
Karen Shaff, LW’79
Recent Alumna of the Year
Kristina Stanger, LW’05
Distinguished Public Service Award
Robert Oberbillig, LA'56, LW'58
Learn more about the alumni award winners.
See lists of other award recipients:
View photos from the 81st annual Supreme Court Celebration:
See also a list of past Supreme Court Celebration programs.