Wait List Automation
Wait-list automation is a feature in which wait-listed students receive an email when a seat becomes available for them in the class. The emails are automatically generated and sent to students' email address.
- Students have a limited amount of time to claim an available seat. The countdown begins when the system sends the wait-listed student the notification email.
- Up to the Friday before the fall or spring semester begins, students have 48 hours to claim their seat.
- Beginning the Friday before the fall or spring semester begins, students have 12 hours or noon on the last day to add (whichever comes first) to claim their seat.
- Students who fail to claim the seat before the deadline will be removed from the wait list entirely. In such cases, the system will automatically repeat the notification process with the next wait-listed student.
- Automation, when active, runs 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, including weekends and holidays.
- Reminder: students may wait-list for only one section of a single course. Students who wait-list for multiple sections of a course are subject to being removed from all wait lists for that course.
How Automation Works
- Students wait-list themselves or are wait-listed by a Drake staff member. Students may not wait-list for multiple sections of a single course.
- Students remain on the wait list until a seat becomes available in the section.
- A seat may become available in various ways
- A registered student drops the section
- A seat is added to the section
- A previously wait-listed student for whom a seat had been saved did not claim the seat
- When the seat becomes available
- The system detects the available seat and notifies the first wait-listed student via Drake email.
- The notified student must claim the seat before their deadline expires. (See the first bullet in the Notes section above.)
- If the notified student fails to claim the seat before their deadline expires, the system will drop the student from the wait list and repeat the process with the next wait-listed student.
If you have questions about wait lists, please contact your dean's office or the Office of the Registrar.