Urgent Counseling Services are also available to students on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9am-3pm, if needed. If you need an urgent appointment, please call the center within 24 hours to ask about the urgent times available or walk to the counseling center. If you need immediate assistance outside of the urgent appointment hours, please do not hesitate to contact us Drake Public Safety (515-271-2222) or visit your local hospital.
Students who need emergency mental health during business hours should call the Student Counseling Center at (515) 271-3864, Drake Public Safety at (515) 271-2222, or utilize the resources below in the event there is limited availability to be seen immediately.
IMPORTANT: Email should not be used in emergencies.
Students who need emergency mental health care when the University Counseling Center is closed should call Drake Public Safety at 515-271-2222 or 911. All off-campus treatment is the financial responsibility of the student.
Crisis Observation Center is intended to meet the needs of individuals who are experiencing an acute behavioral health stressor that impairs the individual’s capacity to cope with his/her normal activities of daily living. The goal of the Crisis Observation Center is to offer a place for individuals to seek crisis intervention services and stabilize them quickly so they can return to the community. The length of stay is up to 23 hours. Services offered include a nursing assessment, care/service coordination, crisis intervention therapy, and access to a psychiatric prescriber if needed. Staff include registered nurses, Master’s level psychotherapists, psychiatric technicians, and care/service. These services are offered in a safe and supportive environment.
Crisis Observation Center – open 24/7.
Broadlawns Hospital, West entrance, 1801 Hickman Rd, DM Phone: 515-282-5742
Your life has value, and we care about your safety and quality of life. If you are having thoughts about hurting yourself, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - dial or text 988. You can also visit your nearest ER or contact the following resources:
1) Uwill Crisis Hotline: 833.646.1526
2) Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Call 988
3) Your Life Iowa: Call (855-581-8111), Text (855-895-8398), or live chat
4) Trevor Project Crisis Line for LGBTQ Young People: offers text, chat, and phone options.
5) Crisis Text Line: Text 741741
6) Trans Lifeline for Trans peer support: Call 877-565-8860
7) Queer and Trans BIPOC Crisis Resources
8) 24/7 Local Crisis Line: Call 211 or 988
9) Mobile Crisis: In an emergent situation, please call 911 and tell law enforcement dispatch that there is a mental health crisis and clearly explain the situation. For non-emergent situations, please call the non-emergent DMPD dispatch at (515) 283-4811 or Drake Public Safety at 515-271-2222
On Campus After Hours Care: